Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Liquid Eyeliner - Stila vs Dolly Wink

To be perfectly honest, I didn't actually use eyeliners of any sort till maybe ~2.5 years ago. I started off with pencil, then my old college housemate introduced me to liquid liners, and I eventually welcomed gel liners into the collection after sifting through countless numbers of YouTube videos :) [I'll post about the 3 different liner use cases in the near future to hopefully help you understand when and what to use!] That being said - for today, I wanted to share with you guys the most popular liquid eyeliners in the states and in Asia, which I personally have tried as well.

In the states, the makeup artists or beauty consultants that I've encountered usually recommend Stila Stay All Day Waterproof liner. It comes in multiple colors and the one I got was Jet Black. This liner feels like a pencil in hand but comes with a clean felt tip. It costs US$20 and can last up to a year depending on your usage.

PRO :: Jet black is extremely rich in black where one stroke is really all you need to achieve that clean dark line! It's easy to use and lays down fairly precisely. The liquid also doesn't "crack" when dried on your skin. I've seen other brands of liquid liners where the ink would turn into tiny hard flakes and breaks off throughout the day as it completely dries.

CON :: This might be due to the way how my semi-mono lid is folded, but if I were to line my eyes all the way to the inner corners - I'd actually turn into a clown about midway into the day. The liner would smear (despite having primer on) right where my eye folds are and creates two dark spots on my eyelids. I've actually gotten comments from my coworkers asking "what's that on your eye?" :( The workaround is to only line the second half of my eye from the middle of my pupil to the outer corner for the wing.

-----------------

In Asia on the other hand, Koji Dolly Wink Liquid Eyeliner is probably the most beloved liner. Unlike Stila, Dolly Wink liner comes in a stiff brush type of tip. It applies cleaner than Stila's felt tip and is more sensitive in reaction to the different pressure and angle of your hand during application. You can purchase this online or in local Japanese stores for anywhere between US$18-$20.

PRO :: The stiff brush tip makes your lines ultra clean. Similar to Stila, the ink doesn't crack and most importantly, it doesn't smear on my lids! So far I haven't been asked about looking like a clown and even on lazy days without eye primer on, Dolly Wink still holds fairly well!

CON :: The black ink is not as rich of a black when compared to Stila. It does require double layering on some parts if you want to achieve that dramatic black line.

Hopefully you've found this post somewhat useful! As always, please feel free to share your feedback and comments below and I look forward in hearing from you!

P.S. If you haven't already - follow me on g+ for my new #photoaday posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment