Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Did you use sunscreen on your face today?

A few months back when I went for my 3rd facial (3rd in the last 28 years that is) prior to one of my best friend's wedding, the aesthetician asked if I use any sunscreen on my face. I immediately responded with "I'm pretty sure my BB cream has SPF something..." and before I could finish she responded with a firm "that's not enough!"

Being a curiosity monkey - I did some additional digging and it's come to my attention that these ultraviolet (UV) rays are not only invisible to the naked eyes, they also act like sharp arrows, silently shooting down our skin cells one at a time. Too little UV ray may lead to a lack of vitamin D, but too much UV ray can actually lead to direct DNA damage, increase skin aging, or even cause skin cancer in extreme cases.

Random inspirational sketch :P
So here I am, several months later, have finally gotten into the habit of applying facial sunscreen before I leave the house every single morning (yes, even on gloomy days!) and I wanted to share with you guys my current favorite product!

I don't know about you guys but I don't really like the thick, oily, shining feeling that regular sunscreen provides and the last thing I want to do is to rub them all over my face... So the key criteria I used in looking for the perfect sunscreen are water-based light weight formula, good for daily use, and high in Sun Protection Factor (SPF) coverage. What I've found is Shiseido's oil-free UV protector (SPF 42) that meets pretty much everything on my checklist!


PRO :: This is a super light and non-greasy product just like what I had pictured in mind! It comes out in a milky liquid format that absorbs quickly and leaves your skin in a matte finish. The scent smells great and the product is good for up to 42 minutes of sun protection and is totally okay for daily usage!

CON :: 1) Pricey for one oz. of product at US$30 before tax! Depending on how often you are underneath the sun, you could go through bottles easily with multiple applications throughout the day. 2) Because of its matte finish, combined with my super dry skin - it occasionally leaves a chalky look on the driest part of my face. What I do to compensate for this is to apply extra moisturizer in those areas prior to using this product.

P.S. Since this is my current favorite facial sunscreen, I will continue to be on the lookout for a more affordable yet comparable product if there is one out there! I will definitely share with you guys when that day comes :)

As always - don't hesitate to leave a comment below and let me know what you think. All feedback are greatly appreciated!


No comments:

Post a Comment